How Silk Comforters and Pillows are Made
Only the top 3-5% of cocoons are selected to make our comforters. Each comforter and pillow will take about 36 steps and 69 days, mostly by hand, to craft. Each silk floss layer takes about 100 cocoons and each comforter takes 80-120 layers. Thus, 8,000 to 12,000 cocoons are used to make a single comforter. Four workers together with decades of experiences can only make at most 10 comforters per day.
The main steps are:
- silk worm cultivation and cocoon selection
- stretch cocoon to form patches
- inspection of humidity, compression and elasticity
- hand stretch patches out to thin layers and then lay them into comforters
- final inspection and storage